Sunday, February 27, 2005

Melbourne

I've spent quite a bit of time here in Melbourne, mainly because I have quite a few acquaintances over here (some of which I have not seen in several years) and so have had the good fortune to be able to stay with them. In fact I seem to know so many people here in Melbourne that I have been unable to visit them all, which makes me a little sad because if I had known I would probably have planned to stay here longer. Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here in Melbourne, which to me seems more friendly and lively than Sydney (though that may be due to the fact that I have friends here who have been able to show me around). The city itself doesn't have any attractions that really blow you away, although there is a fair smattering of interesting galleries around Federation Square, but the overall vibe is lively and friendly.

One of the friends I stayed with, Rachel (and Jamie), took me on a two-day trip to the southern Victorian coast, along what is known as the Great Ocean Road. It is a very pretty coastline with high sandstone cliffs interspersed with secluded beaches. There are many beautiful coastal cliff formations around there, such as stacks, arches and grottoes, making the short stretch of coast very varied and surprising. I've been told that it resembles the Cornish coastline, but I couldn't say as I've never been there. That area is also known as the Shipwreck Coast due to the over 150 ships that sank there in less than 100 years (there are still some remains, such as anchors, on some of the beaches). It was a very relaxing trip and I am very grateful to both Jamie and Rachel for taking the time to show the area to me, which would have been very difficult for me to access otherwise without a car.

No comments: