Wednesday, September 15, 2004

¡Hola Gringos!

Hey everybody. So here I am in Mexico City and my first impressions of it are good. So far I've gone to the central square (the Zocalo) and the markets behind it which are absolutely packed with little stalls selling all kinds of cheap kitsch, pirated DVDs and tacky clothes, as well as a plethora of food stalls. I've also visited the anthropological museum, which is absolutely hayuge and needs a whole day to give you even a remote chance of seeing most of it, and it taught me that there was a far greater variety of indigenous people here in Mexico than I had previously thought. And finally I also visited the house that Trotsky lived in when he was in exile here and where he was eventually assassinated (with a pick-axe to the back of the head).

Today is also Mexico's independance day and so there are street fairs and processions and music and all sorts of other stuff going on. Then in the evening apparently ther are fireworks and more music and drinking, so I'll let you know how it pans out.

Oh yes, one final thing that I like about Mexico: it is the first country that I have ever visited where I am of above average height, wahey! I´ve never seen the tops of so many heads before.

No comments: