Sunday, July 03, 2005

Je Ne Regrette Rien

Is one of the maxims I like to think I live by; making a choice doesn't close off an option inasmuch as it opens up many more. However there are some choices that, looking back, probably weren't particularly well thought through, such as taking the boat from Battambang to Siem Reap. I could have taken the bus, which would have been quicker (slightly), more comfortable and less expensive (yes, for once I chose the dearer option; what's happening to me?!). But instead I took the "scenic route". And indeed the scenery was pretty and I got to see many riverside villages and their inhabitants as well as the remarkable floating villages of Tonle Sap lake. Tonle Sap is incredibly important to both the culture and economy of Cambodia, the annual expansion (during the rainy season) and shrinking (during the dry season) of the lake being the heartbeat of the nation. The nutrient-rich waters contain a staggering concentration of fish and the yearly flooding helps keep the soil fertile for the farmers. Anyway, a number of factors (the speed of the boat, its lack of shelter and the wind) meant that everyone got as thoroughly soaked as if they had swum. On the bright side though, I did meet some friendly travelers aboard and that evening we went out for a few drinks (including a beer at a bar containing a crocodile pit with at least 20 live crocs that you could feed!).

But today has seen a really true regret. My cousin is getting married today and I'll be unable to attend, although I'd dearly love to be there. So here's wishing Ramtin and Meli all the best in their lives together.

P.S. And if anyone else is planning something important like that please wait until I get back before doing it. Thank you.

No comments: