Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Loosening The Moorings

As my impending departure looms ever closer I still don't think it's properly sunk in yet; at least not emotionally. However, I have spent the past couple of weeks trying to get my affairs in order: putting my bank accounts and investments in order, getting a dentist check-up, cancelling my mobile phone, setting up proxy voting for the upcoming elections, researching places I plan to visit, seeing Avenue Q in the West End (I had been wanting to see it for quite some time and my departure gave me the requisite kick up the backside to go ahead and do it), arranging travel insurance (there aren't many companies that will ensure for periods greater than 18 months), saying my farewells, and trying to find a paper that might publish my blog posts so that I may earn a little on the side whilst travelling (still no positive replies, so if you know of any publishers who might be interested then feel free to get in touch...). I'm sure I will forget something fundamental though, I always do.

Despite my relatively light social footprint - I'm not tied into a formal rent contract and neither do I pay utility bills, etc. - disentangling myself from daily life is still quite a complicated process, with far more commitments tying me down than I could have imagined. I shudder to think of the mountain of mail that will await me on my return.

No comments: