Friday, March 23, 2007

Dad Discovers The Dangers Of A Dodgy Diet

I've had my fair share of Delhi Belly on this trip but have had no real problems since leaving India (almost a whole year!) despite eating anything and everything I can find from the cheapest street vendors. Dad has kept up with my frugal tastes and managed to get by on my ful and koshary diet no problem. (Now would be an opportune moment for a brief aside about Egyptian cuisine. By and large it is identical to Levantine Arab food i.e. felafel, ful and flat bread, however they do have one unique speciality and that is koshary. It is the poor man's food par excellence. It's a mixture of pasta, rice, lentils and chick peas with a tomato sauce and is served lukewarm and a big bowl costs less than half a dollar. Koshary joints are easily recognisable by their large silver tureens of pasta sitting in the window. Cordon bleu it may not be, but it's certainly what the doctor ordered.) But it seems that what they say about acclimatising to food is indeed true because, despite eating exactly the same foods, my bowel movements have been impeccable whereas Dad has spent the last couple of days chained to the toilet. It has particularly flummoxed my father because he can't even remember the last time he had diarrhoea. He's OK now so we can continue after our slight delay. At least he's getting the full-on budget travelling experience!

2 comments:

Shammickite said...

Poor old Dad, I hope he bought his own supply of loo roll with him. The Egyptian stuff doesn't quite live up to expectations when you get a dose of Curse of the Pharoah!
I agree, Karnak is awesome. We spent a couple of days looking around, and went to the evening Light and Sound show, pretty impressive.

Inihtar said...

Awww. . .poor dad. You know, it also happens the other way round. When I was growing up in India (and for a couple of years after) I could eat absolutely anything, and would never get sick. I used to boast that I had a stomach of iron. After living in the west for several years though, the iron seems to have rusted off :(