Sunday, July 25, 2004

Some Of My Least Favourite Things

Although travelling is great fun it's not always a bed of roses; so here is a list of some of the things that have irritated me so far:

1. Mosquitoes! One of the little buggers managed to get me on the sole of my foot. God knows how he managed to do it but walking has become slightly more problematic. Although luckily I am not allergic to mosquito bites, unlike Yann. Unlucky mate.

2. Slovak road signposting. As a seasoned traveller I would like to think that I am able to reasonably read a map and understand where I am going. However, on more than one occasion we have been bamboozled by the Slovak road authorities' lack of signposting ability. It has, on the other hand, led to one instance of driving down the wrong side of a motorway under construction (rather hair-raising at the time) and the wrong way down a one-way turning.

3. Muscles. Or rather my muscles' lack of fitness and conditioning. Yesterday, the day after our escapades in the mountains I was feeling fine, but today, with an evil delayed effect, my thigh muscles were screaming in agony whilst going downhill of all things. Hopefully I will have recovered by the time we get to Croatia. (This does not, however, bode well for trekking in South America. Note to self: get fit!)

No comments: