Monday, January 24, 2011

Pics 1 (Belgium to Finland)

So far my time in Tehran has been rather mundane, with most of my time spent lazing at home, watching various films I'd picked up en route and sorting through my pictures, getting rid of duds and touching up the others. I'm about half way through them and so thought I might post a few of my favourites because when I'm on the road I don't always get the opportunity to add pics to my posts even when I would like to and along the way I've taken a few pics that I really like and would like to share.


Bruges canals by night.


Church door in Brussels.


Clichéd maybe, but still very pretty. Windmills at Kinderdijk.


The red light district in Groningen. The prostitutes sit behind the glass doors on show for prospective clients. During the day not so many of them are at work and they while away the time by reading, knitting or chatting with their neighbours. The setting is happily mundane and ordinary.


One of the main portals of Bremen's cathedral. As you can see Jesus looks all beatific whilst the evil Jews have devious faces and hooked noses. Obviously this door was made prior to WWII and so today, alongside the door, there is a plaque with a long apology for the Holocaust and explanation of the door's iconography.


Roof detail of Lubeck's Marienkirche.


Detail of the colourful houses in Ribe.


Grey day in Visby.


Obviously these stones do not roll as they have gathered some very photogenic lichen. Gotland.


Reflected trees in Stockholm's peaceful Skogskyrkogården cemetery.


Quiet little alleyway in Stockholm's Gamle Stan (Old Town).


Grave goods from a Viking burial, including a bronze Buddha. God only knows the things that little statuette must have seen on its voyage from the subcontinent to Scandinavia.


Amateur photographer and his muse on Oslo's cool opera house.


One of the many, expressive, enchanting statues in Oslo's Vigeland Park. Public art at its best.


The colourful, wooden, Hansa warehouses of Bergen's Bryggen district.


The wooden stave church at Urnes is almost 850 years old. Not bad going.


After attending a country music festival in the small town of Skjolden I couldn't be bothered to find a place to sleep and so just passed out on a bale of rock wool at the local port. It was quite comfy actually.


A good night's haul dumpster diving with Monica in Røros.


The incredible Lofoten islands.


Getting lost in Finland's Arctic forests in Oulanka national park.


Flowers by the window of an old, wooden house in old Rauma.

2 comments:

lfrantisek said...

supr fotky!

Anonymous said...

musim uznat, ze mas oko a cit..jakub