Monday, March 21, 2005

Totally Tropo

First of all happy No Ruz to all full, semi-, honorary and even part-time Persians, as well as to anybody else who celebrates new year on the Spring equinox.

I'm still in Port Hedland waiting for a ride out of here. The weather around these parts is just ridiculous: often topping 40 degrees and with high humidity to boot. It's at times like these that you appreciate Winters because hell, I can afford a jumper and, if push comes to shove, maybe even a jacket as well. What I don't like, however, is dissolving in a pool of my own sweat whilst doing nothing more strenuous than reading a book. This isn't helped by the Australians' inability to build houses that remain cool whilst it's hot outside (even the use of simple shutters would aid matters immensely). Another gripe I have with this place (and I can't believe I've waited so long to mention it) is the flies. Now they might seem smaller, and therefore more harmless, than your common or garden European housefly, but my god they are evil incarnate. If you tell a European fly to bugger off it will stay away for a fair length of time, but an Aussie fly, on the other hand, once it has found you, will never stop hounding you, incessantly flying up your nose and into your ears. Needless to say within minutes of such an onslaught insanity is imminent. Under these circumstances those silly Australian hats with the dangly corks are actually very sensible (and I'm now in the process of collecting corks to make my very own DIY one).

No comments: